Sunday, December 7, 2014

The two most important words.


Thank you.
 
I could end this post right now. That's how simple this is.
 
Thank you.
Two words
 
 
So simple, but yet so overlooked by most job seekers. Those two words can set you apart from the others - in a hurry.
 
When I was recruiting and hiring,  I had a hard and fast rule when it came to “thank you.” If a candidate did not send me an email thank you within 24 hours of an interview, they did not get invited back. That may seem harsh, but that small detail was just so important to me. I've had many great interviews with candidates that I could not wait to hire, but they did not send a “thank you.” For me that was extremely disappointing and puzzling.
 
I wanted to hire great people with great people skills. I could find candidates all day long that had lackluster people skills.  Most often, I was  hiring someone for a sales or customer service position, where customer follow up was critical. Why would I hire a potential sales person or customer service rep that could not be bothered to send a thank you? Regardless of the position you seek, don't shoot yourself in the foot by not sending the "thank you."
 
I believe after your interview, you must send two thank you notes. One should be via e-mail (that gets to their desktop within 24 hours) and one should be a hand written thank you card (this gets to their desk in 3 days). Not only is the hand written thank you note classy and professional, it puts your name in front of the hiring manager 3-4 days after he last saw you.
 
When is the last time you received a hand written thank you note? I got one a few years ago after I bought a couch. It was unexpected, classy, and professional. If I were to need another couch, that place would be my first stop. That particular salesman gets it.
 
 
Keep some in the car
A good practice is to have a box of blank thank you notes and stamps with you in your car. After your interview, while in your car, write the note and drop it in the closest mail box. This practice will set you apart. John C. Maxwell once said “people don’t care what you know; they just want to know that you care.” Show people that you care and appreciate  opportunity offered to you. This practice will help set you apart.
 
 
 
Thank you.
 
 
 
 
  
 
 
Interview Tutor
Professional Career Prep Services
508.365.0077
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment